Sunday, November 1, 2009

Finally. Smartphones!

I had a Motorola V265 since 2004. Since wireless plans have become much better the last year or so, I decided to look at switching to a carrier with a better plan and get a smart phone.

I looked at all the major carriers and Sprint had the best family plan. My family had been thinking about the iPhone, but after discussing the plans, we decided to look at the phones Sprint offers.

My son decided on the Palm Pre. My daughter and I both on the BlackBerry Tour.

The Pre is a touchscreen phone with a slide out keyboard. It also has multitasking features. After reading about the touchscreen phones, I had decided I would prefer the keyboard and trackball that the BlackBerry phones employ.

After using my Tour for a month, I can say I am very satisfied with it. It has a 3.2 megapixel camera with flash and video recording. The keys are close together and it took a little time to get accustomed to. The upside is the phone's size. It's not bulky like the older BlackBerry models are known for.

The screen is high solution. This resulted in hard to read text on the web browser. At first, this was very annoying but changing the font settings helped. The Bolt browser can be download and it renders font better than the BlackBerry browser.

Overall I can say that the Tour was the best choice for me. There are two phones that have since come out that look interesting: the BlackBerry Storm 2 and the Motorola Droid. I'll post on those another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment